Healthy Snacks You Can Eat During Pregnancy
November 30th, 2015
When you are pregnant, you want to eat healthily to ensure that your baby gets the essential nutrients it needs to grow and develop. Every so often though, a craving hits and then before you know it, you’re halfway into a gallon of ice cream.
At Highland OB/GYN, we are here to help you make good choices with your pregnancy cravings. Here are a list of snacks that will satisfy your sweet tooth but not compromise your health goals:
- Low-sugar muffins. Next time you have a craving for a sweet breakfast food like muffins, skip the store-bought ones and do a quick Pinterest search for “low-sugar muffins.” Any recipes that substitute Greek yogurt and egg white for butter or oil are healthier.
- Trail mix. Making your own trail mix with unsalted almonds, cashews, roasted pumpkin seeds, hemp, flax and dark chocolate chips will help satisfy that sweet tooth in a healthy way.
- Granola. Avoid store-bought granola and google “healthy granola” recipes that don’t use refined sugar. Looking for a recipe that has less than ½ cup of honey or maple syrup will keep you feeling guilt-free.
- Frozen banana peanut butter sandwiches. This is a treat that both kids and moms love. Slice a banana, spread peanut butter between two slices then put it in the freezer for one to two hours.
- Plain Greek yogurt with berries. Instead of buying yogurt that contains fruit (and excess sugar) already in it, you can make your own healthy yogurt at home by pairing plain Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries, blueberries or blackberries.
- Graham crackers. When you feel the urge to indulge in some cookies, opt for graham crackers instead. You can also try them with almond butter.
- Apples. Apples are low in sugar and can be prepared in so many healthy ways: pair with a tablespoon of peanut butter, aged cheddar cheese or cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are packed full of calcium, potassium and vitamins. We recommend baking them in the oven and then serving them with Greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Reach Out to Highland OB/GYN for More Healthy Snack Ideas for You & Your Baby
Substituting the above snack ideas for less-healthy options will help you feel your best during your pregnancy. If you have any questions about how you should be eating for you and your baby, don’t hesitate to contact Highland OB/GYN today at (910) 485-1191.